Hello, beautiful yogis!
Now that the temperature is rising, I hope you’re managing to fling thermal vests like caution to the wind and flow more easily on your mats.
The warmer weather always brings a delicious feeling of expansion, possibility and freedom, which is why this issue is centred around “Space” in all its forms. Festivals rely on both sun and space, and we’re delighted to say that we have two for you in this issue.
- Clemence Cocquet, founder and CEO of Scapa Fest, met with Yoga Scotland Magazineearlier this year to discuss how this unique yoga and adventure festival on the shores of Loch Fyne came about. Read the inspiring interview,“The Beauty of the In-Between”.
- In “Expanding the Universe”, we discuss Vedanta and the Big Bang with Ram & Sonali Banerjee, founders of the World Yoga Festival. As a Yoga Scotland member, you’ll have the chance to win a 4-day pass (worth £159) to this wonderful event, so make sure you enter!
- Spring brings to mind new life, and hypnobirthing practitioner Alison Oxley tells us about her work holding safe space for pregnant women in “The Body, Breath & Baby Connection”. But what about the opposite end of life’s thread – what about the void experienced through loss? Yogi, writer and poet Wayne Duckworth expresses the loss of his brother Conrad in heartfelt verse, “Life on the Illuminating Edge”.
- Carlisle teacher Pauline Steenbergen shares her experience of inheriting a yoga class from her retiring teacher on managing to make the space her own, and why not create some spaciousness in your heart by practising four wonderful poses by YS Foundation tutor Lindsey Porter? There’s always something joyous about heart-openers, so take your time and savour the moment.
- In the Safe Space, Scott McDonald plants tongue in cheek as he advises teachers and students alike on “Yoga Etiquette for the Perennially Confused”, and as usual there are all your favourite regulars such as Ask the Kula, the Karmic Kitchen and the Herb Doctor.
Don’t forget to catch up with the latest YS news, training courses and OGT days in News & Community!
Happy reading, yogis!